Considerations and Pitfalls of External Ethernet and PoE Protection Devices
Feb. 17 | 12:55 - 1:10 PM
- Mick Maytum - ICT Surge Protection Expert
Too often people automatically apply surge protection devices (SPDs) into the LAN cabling thinking they are an insurance policy against Ethernet equipment failure. However, it has been found that SPDs themselves can cause equipment failure. To find out why this can happen, this presentation discusses the following topics:
- Ethernet interface configurations
- What are the overvoltage threats?
- What are the Ethernet interface voltage and current withstands?
- Surge mitigation functions
- Protection design mishaps
- Protection design rules